Thursday, June 10, 2010

"THIS IS A STORY ABOUT SOMETHING"

The first line of The Magician's Nephew, the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia.  Here's the full first paragrah:

"THIS IS A STORY ABOUT SOMETHING that happened long ago when your grandfather was a child.  It is a very important story because it shows how all the comings and goings between our own world and the land of Narnia first began."

This series by C.S. Lewis first captivated me during my freshman year of college.  I'm really excited to say that today I start reading them again.  I can't wait to see again how Lewis paints images that reflect our relationship with the Father, this time with four more years of life experience.  I've learned a lot about myself, life, and God since then, but I also know that these books will activate part of my childlike imagination that sometimes I really miss using.  Some of you might scoff, wondering if I ever use anything other than a childlike imagination, but sometimes I just feel too grown-up for my own good.  I'm anticipating some fun, though stimulating summer reading.  Anyway, here goes.

PS - Join me in reading!  Especially if you've never read them before, or you have but it's been a long time--I'd love to talk about the books and about life with you.  I promise it will be fun.  If you really want to go old school with me, we can drink tea and smoke pipes as we read, paying homage to Clive Staples Lewis, himself.  (Austin, we can substitute coffee if that'll get you to read with me.  Or beer, for that matter!)

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough
or a book long enough to suit me."
 - C. S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment